So, we’ve all heard about planking and how incredible it is as a full body exercise that strengthens the core and gives you rock hard abs. Super! BUT, if you are a beginner or have been away from training for a bit, the thought can seem very daunting! Five minutes? That’s not long, is it? It can feel like 5 years if you are trembling away in your plank trying to stop yourself from collapsing in a heap on the floor!
Walk the Plank – Reap the Benefits
Like most fitness goals, it is something you have to work for, consistently, to achieve! So, why do you want to work to achieve this? The payoffs are HUGE, that’s why!
- Gets your stomach ripped – whoopee!
- Strengthens and tones your glutes, shoulders and hamstrings
- Increases balance
- Improves posture
- Builds flexibility
- Reduces back pain
- Enhances mood
So, let’s start out figuring out how to DO the plank properly, and THEN we’ll work up our time. Are you ready?
The How to…
- Lie with your face downwards on the floor or an exercise mat
- Place your elbows and forearms under your chest while placing your palms on the flat surface of the floor
- Push up off the floor onto your toes and rest on your forearms
- Focus on tightening your abdominal while you maintain this position
- Keep your back in a straight line from head to heels and ensure that your hips do not sag down towards the floor
- Hold this position for as long as possible until you can no longer keep your body in a straight line
- Bring your body back to the starting point
- Start again and try to aim for 30 secs and do 3 sets
- Continue with the exercise while increasing the time
Some Points to Remember…
Remember not to let your back and hips sag. The effectiveness of this exercise lies in you being able to keep your body in a straight line from your head to heels.
Once you start becoming advanced, you can start trying to lift your leg, side arm lift or even do the exercise on your hands rather than elbows.
No matter what your starting point is, if you give it your best shot every day for 30 days, maybe lasting for a few seconds more each day, you should get to 5 minutes within 30 days. And THAT is quite a feat. Something you can be extremely proud of!
So, my fellow plankers – what’s next? Well, it’s something we all think about quite a bit (I’m sure). And that is, our planet, and our place in it. How to live well for ourselves, others AND the planet. How to nourish the body and the mind by going green, in what we eat, and the products we use. Catch ya then…