The delicate and thin skin around the eyes is often the first to show that nasty beast – aging! Fine lines, laughter lines, dark circles and puffiness are the enemies when it comes to looking fresh, youthful and revitalized.
No Need to Stress!
But don’t you fret beautiful one! There are many ways to keep these undereye symptoms at bay, and far away. Just how we like it. You can get a myriad of amazing eye creams, gels and serums on a wonderful online store, like www.cosme-de.com.
BUT did you know that you can actually make your OWN eye cream? Yup, you can go all DIY and create an eye cream that is just right for you, with just a few ingredients!
Natural is Awesome
Many natural oils are revered for their restorative, moisturizing and reparative properties, and these often work well as part of an eye cream. Shea butter, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, rosehip oil and other gorgeous essential oils are all perfect ingredients to rejuvenate the skin around the eye, or anywhere really!
So, why would you want to make your own DIY eye cream? Skipping harmful ingredients is just one benefit, and knowing exactly what you are putting on your skin is another. Plus, it’s a lot of fun, and can save loads of money too! More to spend on other cool stuff!
Natural Wrinkle Prevention
One of the key ingredients is shea butter, which stimulates collagen production to increase skin firmness, and improves the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes. What’s more, it helps reduce inflammation to combat puffiness. You’re also getting a nourishing dose of vitamins A, E and F for healthy, smooth skin.
Coconut Oil is also fabulous for skin since it’s rich in lauric acid and essential fats. Not only does it boost circulation to clear up under eye circles, but it keeps connective tissue strong and supple. This means less fine lines, wrinkles, and other annoying skin problems!
Beeswax prevents moisture loss that can cause wrinkles. Rosehip seed oil is very nourishing for aging skin, but is also non-greasy and silky, which is something you definitely want in an eye cream!
Adding some aromatic essential oils can make your eye cream a wonderful, sensory experience. Geranium essential oil is a great one, as it helps diminish wrinkles and inflammation, and clear up dark circles.
I tried this DIY eye cream and it worked a treat! It’s also excellent for gently removing eye makeup at night, so it has yet another benefit!
*Please note: As with any cream or anything used around the eyes, take good care not to get it INTO your eyes!
Natural DIY Eye Cream Ingredients:
- 2 T shea butter
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 tsp beeswax
- 5 tsp rosehip oil
- 4 drops geranium essential oil
- Mason jar
- 2 oz glass jar or steel tin
The Fun Bit – Making your eye cream!
- Combine all of the ingredients, barring the geranium essential oil and rosehip seed oil. Use a wide mouth, glass mason jar.
- Fill a pot on the stove halfway with water, and place the mason jar into the water.
- Turn the stove onto medium heat, and gently melt the contents of the jar on the stove for around 6 minutes. You want the water to be at a gentle simmer, not boiling, so rather lower the temperature if needed. Gently mix the contents of the jar every 2 minutes to help everything combine nicely.
- As soon as the ingredients are melted and combined, remove the jar from the water bath and the stove.
- Pour the mixture in a small mixing bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes before stirring in the essential oils of geranium and rosehip.
- Scoop the mixture into a glass jar and keep with a tight screw top lid and away from direct sunlight.
How to Use:
Use a tiny amount under the eyebrow and under eye area at night. A little goes a long way, so this will last you quite a while, even if you do use it as an eye makeup remover. If skin is dry, you can also use a few drops over the whole face and neck at night for extra moisture and glowing, radiant skin in the morning!
Your thirsty skin will thank you for it!
For Next Mon’s post, I’m going to share tips on how to choose the right lipstick color for your skin tone. Stay tuned! ‘Til then beautiful ones!