Did you know that you can MAKE your own beauty products from ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen? It’s SOOOO much fun to do, and you can also make fabulous, handmade gifts for friends and family, which add that special “I made it myself” touch!
Homemade Scar Remover
Acne scars, dark spots, and skin stains can be embarrassing and pull down your confidence. Don’t ever hide your light under a bush! Using all natural ingredients, this scar remover will get rid of them, or reduce them considerably, within a week!
Pop into the kitchen and find:
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp powdered cinnamon
Now, the fun part! Put your apron on and:
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients together until they form a thick paste.
- Add more lemon juice if the mixture is too thick or any other ingredient to make the paste stick to your skin.
- Apply to affected areas (where scars reside) and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Lay back and relax as the mask takes effect.
- Rinse off and pat dry.
- Follow up with a light moisturizer.
Homemade Vanilla Rose Body Scrub
This is perfect for a treat for the bathroom, as well as a gorgeous, fragrant gift, packaged in a pretty jar with a personalized label. Soooo special! This recipe will fill 4 small 8oz jars.
Vanilla Rose Body Scrub Recipe:
- 1kg of Epsom salts
- 6 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- seeds of 3 vanilla pods (don’t discard the actual pods)
- 6 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 10 drops vanilla essential oil
- 6 drops cocoa essential oil (optional)
- 10 drops rose geranium
- Place the Epsom Salts in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and seeds of 3 vanilla pods and mix well.
- Now add the essential oils to the sweet almond oil and then to the Epsom salt mixture and stir in well.
- Distribute the salts into the jars and place one empty vanilla pod into each jar…you can cut them in half and place them on top of the salts – it just adds a wonderful vanilla aroma to the salts upon opening! 🙂
- Lastly, stick the labels on and tie the gift tag on.
Homemade Turmeric Mask for Clear Skin
With its gorgeous bright yellow color, turmeric is long known for its skin beautifying properties and is great for acne-prone skin. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
So, back to the kitchen for you, to find:
- 2 teaspoons of rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
In a bowl, add 2 teaspoons of rice flour, 1/2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 teaspoon honey. Give everything a very good mix making sure there are no lumps. If the face mask feels very thick, you can add in more yogurt or add in some cold rose water if you have very oily skin.
Now, wash your face with a good quality cleanser and apply the mask evenly on the face. If you have dark circles or dry skin under the under eyes, you can apply the mask there too. Let the mask sit on your face for good 30 minutes and spray rose water all over. Massage your skin with the mask gently so that rice flour in it can exfoliate your skin. Rinse off and use a mild cleanser if skin feels slippery or greasy or much stained due to turmeric. Pat dry and follow with a gel-based moisturizer if you have oily skin and a good cream-based moisturizer if you have dry skin.
It really is a lot of fun to make your own products, give it a try, you will be amazed by the results!
For my next post…
I am going to deal with something many of us experience, and that is dry skin in the Summer months. It’s more common than you might think, with more sun exposure, more swimming sports and more exfoliation going on! We will delve into ways to keep that gorgeous skin of yours soft, supple and hydrated, no matter what the season. ‘Til then, stay happy and beautiful!